Thursday, October 23, 2008

Roll #1: Sir Overlap-a-lot!

First roll shot on my Holga 120GN. Fujifilm Superia 200ASA Colour Negative. Typical amateur film, easy to find in 24hour gas stations and photoshops alike. Perfect for testing out the Holga for the first time.

Got my darkroom bag today from China, roll the film, and chase off to Chadstone for a quick 1 hour develop. What I love about RabbitPhoto is their Gold Membership. Listen up, for each film developed, you get a FREE scan+burn on CD, and a FREE film. Woohoo!! Develop cost AUD10 per roll.**

**There are some downsides, but i'll talk about it later on. For now, the offer is good enough to get a newbie Holga snapper like me excited.


Using 35mm on Holgas with 135 adapter
Didn't have high expectations on this fella, primarily due to the fact that i'm using a 135 adapter and have no idea how much clicks that i need to forward the film. It's not as if I didn't do my homework before getting the black plastic box from ebay. I tried this method but the clicks are too faint compared to the clicks on the winding wheels.

So in the end I advance half a knob for each frame. Big mistake. Overlaps!! (though some overlaps are pretty neat, others are just indistinguishable or overexposed)


Using the adapter (non-panoramic), I'd suggest next time to advance it 1 whole knob. Slightly wasting, but better than overlapping. If your Holga is seasoned and quiet on the knob, then you might wish to use Chet4's method. I suggest you count 8 clicks if you have the adapter in.

Long exposure
I found that it works well with indoor lighting without flash, and I reckon it's best to open the shutter for about 5 seconds. But beware of light sources, they sure can make people come from flying saucers.

Then I shot outdoor on a gloomy day. 5 seconds is too long. Maybe 2 seconds next time. For now, I would save long exposure for night shots. Perhaps it is for the best.



Double exposure
Loving it to the very core. Did it with all shots in bright sunlight, and still get awesome shots. Although there must be some ways to get better results, I have yet to explore.
Here's my favourite shot, coz it's where i live!



Fisheye lense
Loving it. The way the world just curves around your lense. Amazing. I expect to get better result from a 120 film using fisheye as the full image will be exposed to the film, unlike 135s that cover only part of the exposure compartment.



Indoors
For 200ASA, taking pictures indoors will definitely need a flash. Well you can do without one, if you're planning to do long exposures. Certainly you won't do that when snapping a potrait. Thankfully my flash gun also arrived today, and my next roll will be flash+colour filters.


Grain/Noise
Again, for 200ASA, you won't notice grains as much as you can on a 400ASA. I have previously used a 200ASA indoors with a weak flash gun. If you're close to the subject, then great. If the area is large, then it will be slightly underexposed, and grainy. Conclusion: 200ASA need light!!!!!

2 comments:

AA said...

Hmm... I don't think that the fish-eye achieved it's image la.... Have to try at a better angle kot?

AA said...

thanks along. perhaps more close-ups and using larger film (like the 120 format) will bring the very best of fisheye.

lapa la. gi bfast jap!

Followers